Thursday, January 21, 2016

Goofy Gringo Cuentitos Pt. 2

Killer Tamale

A tamale almost killed me.  No, I’m not complaining about the tremendous amount of food that people eat around the holidays. It’s not that I had eaten too many tamales. Rather, as I was walking to work one day, wooooof… I went sailing through the sky and landed flat on my back. As I rolled over to my front side to push myself up from the ground, I was perplexed. How had I slipped? And in such a dramatic way? The ground wasn’t wet and I didn’t remember seeing anything on the sidewalk on my path. As I stood up, the culprit was there, staring right back at me.  It was a huge tamale. The biggest I have ever seen. Sitting in the middle of the sidewalk. Cartoons – and of course, Mario Kart – regularly show people slipping on banana peels, but I’ve never known that to happen in real life. Now I know that the real threat is tamales. 

While you may find it an irritating exaggeration that I claimed to have almost died by a tamale, I have found that Mexicans love to exaggerate in story telling. [As do great story tellers in the U.S. and elsewhere too.] In Mexican story-telling, what matters most is the effect that one’s words leave, not the factual accuracy of one’s statement. In fact, telling the facts right, when the straight facts are unimpressive, would be a greater lie than exaggerating to portray the same feeling that was experienced. For example, there is a huge hill in the middle of the town I live in. On one part of the hill, a staggering number of escalinas [stairs] lead you from the center of town to the top of the loma [hill]. One of my friends claimed there are a 1,000 steps. I didn’t believe her, so I counted. There are 251. But as I think about it now, she was more right than I am. It’s an intimidating number of steps. Enough to make you consider taking another route to get home. The only way to accurately explain the grandness of these escalinas is to share that there are a thousand.


Death of a Globo

After the toasts, the feasting, dancing the cumbia to Juan Gabriel songs, and bilingual karaoke, the Año Nuevo festivities died down. Around 4am, the party began to break up and family dispersed to their homes. A handful of us dedicated partygoers stayed though. We were going to welcome in the New Year by sending a globo a los cielos [ballon to the skies/heavens]. This wasn’t a normal plastic balloon though. It was a balloon made out of tissue paper and glue. Throughout Mexico, people make these types of globos for special festivities. In some places, these globos are gigantic, and elaborate, being formed out of hundreds of pieces of tissue paper. On this night though, we had a simple globo of just four pieces of tissue paper. We wrote our wishes for the new year on the paper, then proceeded to carry it outside with the flammable ring and a box of matches.

Photo taken by my friend Hannah Smith. My family's globo looked much like this one

The streets were dead. We set up in the middle of the busy boulevard linking the bus station with the university in town. Tía Norma took the lead to direct us to echar el globo a los vientos [send the balloon to the winds]. The process works much like that of a hot air balloon. A hole at the bottom of the globo contains a metal ring which holds a donut-looking flammable ring, that is lit, causing the globo to rise in the air. The globo is then carried by wind farther than the eye can see until eventually the ring burns up, and the globo falls to the ground. The process to get the globo off the ground was taking longer than expected, so I proceeded to offer my help. I had watched  the launching of a globo during YAGM Mexico Orientation in Cuetzalan several months before, so I figured that I knew what I was doing. As Tía Norma held the globo, I lit the ring, but instead of lifting up, up and away, the tissue paper walls of the balloon enveloped in flame. We dropped the globo to the ground and watched as our New Years wishes burnt up in flames. ¡Pinche gringo! I thought to myself.*

Globos get as big and elaborate as this.
Yes, this was made out of tissue paper too -
just hundreds and hundreds of sheets of tissue paper.
Photo Credit: Hannah Smith.

*Because I burnt up our wishes for Amor y Paz [love + peace] in the world, I guess I will be responsible when world peace and boundless love don’t come. jaja. On a serious note though, if I can inspire one person, comfort one person, restore one person’s dignity, or ignite one person’s heart with love, it will justify my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment